Sunday, August 14, 2011

Through Chapter 21

Well obviously a lot has happened ... since we are 3/4 of the way done with this book.

The book is really good.  I disagree with mom, I liked Maureen from the get go.  She was just doing what she had to do to live (not talking about the drug use right now...).  It sounds like she didn't have a really strong home life, and didn't get a lot of support (moneywise) for her education.  So she was trying to make ends meet with her job, and it paid pretty decent, but she wasn't able to function in class and work... so slowly but surely she dropped a class at a time, until she wasn't taking any....  she always seems to have high aspirations about starting a new and a fresh...  but things just keep happening.

Poor girl just picked the wrong night to find her coke....  Just imagine if she hadn't been called in to work that night (because remember she wasn't supposed to work that night) if she hadn't done the coke, if she hadn't drank so much she wouldn't have been in the predicament that she now finds herself in.

Sebastian is a bad dude, and we learn FINALLY through chapter 21 he has ALWAYS been a bad dude.  I am inspired by Maureen and her will power.  She is not submissive, and she will not take back down.  I can not believe that throughout all these years and all the bad stuff that Sebastian has done that we know about, and you know there is bad stuff that we do not know about.  And of course now that he is running for office it still hasn't come out... but you know it will, and I can't wait for that to happen... Too bad at least 4 people had to die though, and I wonder if there is more to come.

I am not really sure where exactly Molly and John fit into all of this except for just being their for Maureen.  But I have a bad feeling that they are going to get more involved then they would like.... 

So tell me your input.

PS  We will finish the book for discussion on Sunday

1 comment:

  1. yeah, I do agree that I don't dislike Maureen. She is a survivor and is the way she is because of her background and the life she had growing up. Closing herself off to other people is her way of coping as she finds that trusting others isn't an option for her. It is a lonely lifestyle as she is finding out.

    Man, seeing a guy like Sebastian certainly makes you think of these politicians that we really don't know too much about. We see that time and time again when scandals break out with our politicians (Edwards, Clinton, the governor of Carolina who had a woman in South America, etc.)
    Such sleezes.

    Maureen is a hard worker and she realizes she has no choice cause she needs to pay her bills. I find that she is definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time when she did come in on her day off. I think in all this, Maureen is going to learn more about herself and her character will develop because of it.

    Yep, Molly and John are in this for a reason and we'll find out why. I like them, too. As always, once I started diving into this book, I found it hard to put down. Kept my interest and I like that fact that our heroine is a flawed person. Keeps things interesting.

    Good luck with school and leaving Breslin with a sitter all day. Quite an adjustment for you. I am leaving in a minute to go down to Sturgis to watch Jim's 5 kids. Uncle Mark is really nervous about it. I'm not, I'll just deal with whatever comes up. Till Sunday.

    ReplyDelete